To develop a technology for nitrogen removal in the dewatering return water of the sludge process of a Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP).
Development of a new environmental technology for nitrogen removal based on the process of anaerobic autotrophic oxidation of ammonium, using a single stage submerged fixed bed biofilm system applicable to the treatment of high nitrogen effluent and low organic content of a WWTP.
Development of a new environmental denitrification technology based on autotrophic anaerobic oxidation
- Project duration: 01/02/2014-31/12/2015
- Funding: Project financed by the Center for Industrial Technological Development (CDTI) and co-financed by the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area (EEA Grants) within the Program on Science and Technology in the Environment and Climate Change.
- Budget: 596.792 €
- Participating entities: Sacyr Agua, the MITA Research Group (on Microbiology and Environmental techniques) of the University of Granada and the Norwegian Research Center Vestforsk.
- Patented process
- Nitrogen removal greater than 90%
- Energy consumption reduction
- Improved effluent quality