Develop, using environmentally friendly methods, a process of recycling reverse osmosis membranes used in the desalination process, turning them into nanofiltration and ultrafiltration membranes, increasing membrane useful life and the sustainability of water treatment processes.
During the project development, two transformation technologies have been developed: passive and active.
Recycled membranes have several direct applications, such as pre-treatment of reverse osmosis processes, brackish water treatment and tertiary wastewater treatment.
Transformation of discarded reverse osmosis membranes into ultra and nanofiltration recycled membranes
- Project duration: 01/06/2014-30/06/2018
- Funding: Project co-financed by the European Community through theLIFE financial instrument, with contract No LIFE13 ENV/ES/000751
- Budget: 954.977 €
- Website: http://www.life-transfomem.eu/
- Participating entities: IMDEA Agua, Sacyr Agua and Sacyr Industrial-Sadyt.
- Patented process
- Two transformation technologies
- Recycled UF and NF membranes
- Circular economy